How I escaped death from angry Lagos mob - Nigerian writer shares experience | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Tuesday 4 August 2015

How I escaped death from angry Lagos mob - Nigerian writer shares experience

Writer and reporter Famous Phamous shares his experience in the hands of a frustrated Lagos Mob
In a very long gaze over a shrunk moment, I looked death in the face, deep into its dark,  drab and dirty eyeballs but it flinched and shied away. In that moment, my spirit divorced my senses and my heart eloped with my emotions. Standing yet I was lying flat face-down.
That death is a journey, it’s not a lie. It’s just some truth tellers saying what they know not. On Monday, the 3rd of August, 2015, I had a true awe gust. I traveled to two worlds without leaving my place.
I had first hand, the undiluted taste of the concoction called death. Not a sip but a gulp. I wined with my ancestors but my progeny wouldn’t stop beckoning on me.

My name is Famous Phamous and this is my story…

I’m a writer. A reporter for not just the first but the foremost campus-oriented, youth-focused weekly newspaper in Nigeria; iCampus Newspaper, and I have a responsibility flanking my sides to provide editorial content that serve the two purposes of information and reformation.

In retrospect, earlier in March this year, I had a rather unfortunate encounter with the men in black , who by a reason of mix-up, practiced panel beating using my flesh as specimen. Like a hobo, I could only do my best by talking my way out of their anti-tender iron hands. They walked. With impunity and I talked. Without immunity but vindictive.

After about one hundred and fifty days, history repeated itself. This time, I was again a bystander, unconnected with the business of the men in black, actually of many colours this time; who paid an august visit in August to the nocturnal street traders of popular Ikeja Along/Under the bridge bus/train station.

Goods worth hundreds of thousands were either confiscated or utterly demolished by horde of men in varying uniforms who carried out a clean sweep op against the defenseless civilians going about their hustle for livelihood. An everyday lifestyle pertinent to the Lagos Metropolis where traders camp around strategic points of massive human contacts – men and women returning or going to work – to market their products or services, as the case may be.

Consequently, chaos was the order. Everyone wailing and weeping as they watched either their loved ones and goods being carted away or their goods only. The latter was better and great fortune, for them. With the remnants trampled and tables destroyed. Goods plundered, emotions tumbled, lives shaken, hopes dashed, dreams shattered, virtues tainted, businesses closed and sources of earning a living blocked, I strode approaching the locale and my heart took the steering from my head.
I stood there shocked, shaken and shut up. Speechless and helpless. Instantly, the memories of the panel beating I underwent in March gripped the man inside me. I took no action or reaction. None was available.

Then it happened.

I saw an old woman whose bag of corn had been destroyed and I felt Mr compassion pushed me at the back of my head and my feet, lips, voice and every other part of me responded. “I’m a writer, I could lend this woman a voice to cry with by directing her tears in black and white in between drawn lines”, I had thought.

Next I approached a few complainants who were obviously victims of the horrible ordeal and in minutes, I had a vox pop. Me and my colleague, Ada, were no more bystanders but sympathizer. Empathisers. 

Like a glorified Hollywood movie, everything happened so fast I was on the run. Behind me was an angry mob. A collection of angry, heartbroken, mistreated,  bereaved and hungry mob took after me shouting… “thief!  thief!”

Like a billow, I was encompassed by floods of people all ready to transfer the disappointments, loss and rancour of their spoilt evening on my soft skin.

At that moment, when they caught up with me, I tried to speak, to explain, but my mouth was numb. I was dumb. I heard lots of mutterings. Scaring, no deadly suggestions like ‘bring tyre’, ‘tie am’ and ad infinitum. My fear graduated to advanced trepidation. ‘Rough handling’ was a prayer for me but it was nothing compared. Every member of the crowd wanted a piece of Me.

In deciding on what to do with me, a police Angel, and old woman came to claim ownership of me. 

She declared I was her esteemed customer and that I was no thief. Of course I’m no thief.

In the end, with her voice and those of her disciples, I was excused and they gave me up. Of course, not without exploiting any and every valuable I had on me. I didn’t write this article from the otherworld.  I still cannot entirely wrap my mind around ‘how’ I survived last night but I know now, for personal reality, what the dictionary cannot define better:  a miracle! It was great miracle.

Finally, while I’m alive and gratefully so, my heart still goes out to the voiceless common people whose psychological, emotional, financial, and physical states cannot remain the same. I feel your pain. I share from your oppression and I wish you speeding recovery. All is well.

107 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm

Unknown said...

Hmmm may God be praised....u better go for thanksgiving, very important

Anonymous said...

Too long uncle can't read all this

Unknown said...

Thank God For Your Life!!

NaijaDeltaBabe said...

Thank God for ur life

BONARIO NNAGS said...

I thank God for his life, our type of society always spontaneous in reaction.

~BONARIO~says so via NOKIA LUMIA

Bonita Bislam said...

Hmm you need no soothsayer to tell you that the harassed looks most lagosians wear is obtained from the messed up system! People go through alotta horrifying ordeals everyday !

Anonymous said...

long rubbish writing. so boring. Make things easier next time.

Unknown said...

Ok
Thank God for you.

SWILL MARTIN said...

Lagos eeeeeh?na wa ooooo shuooooo dem no de loook b4 dem comit oooooo.

Anonymous said...

Please next time write with a simple English ,your glorified use of figures of speech made it a bit boring and complicating .i almost fell asleep ready your story

Anonymous said...

THNK GOD FOR YOUR LYF...TOMJERRYSWIT

Unknown said...

My dear thank God for ur life.....

Unknown said...

it all sound like fiction to me but if it's true on the other hand, I thank God for ur life

Frank said...

This could have been summarized into just 3 sentences. Too much grammar. Story more than content. No beefs tho. Everyone wants to shine.

Unknown said...

Nonsense! Mitchew...who get time to dey read unnecessary english. Oga go straight to the point!

Unknown said...

well count your stars,Lagos aint smiling at all!

Unknown said...

thank God for your life
infact change your name to GodwinthankGod

Unknown said...

*Touching** All is well......

Unknown said...

Mr man u have to communicate better. ..u don't have to used big words or beat around d bush too much...u went to d market,u were mistaken for a thief,u were almost killed, a lady rescued u. ..simple!

Anonymous said...

Oga your story is too much and boring. Thank God for your life.... Linda you must post my comment this time o...

SIDOFOBIA said...

Writing features can be more demanding than writing straight news stories, because while a journalist must apply the same amount of effort to accurately gather and report the facts of the story, he or she must also find a creative and interesting way to write it. The lead (or first two paragraphs of the story; see Nut graph) must grab the reader's attention and yet accurately embody the ideas of the article.

Anonymous said...

welcom sir you hav really done well, i guess this is one of ur write ups cos if seriously u were attacked as u claim u wont rememeber all dis grammar.

Anonymous said...

This is so scary and reeks of 'Aluu 4'. He's so lucky cos so many have been wrongfully accused and maimed. To even offer help to strangers is something one should do with great wisdom these days.

Anonymous said...

Too many grammer ..I don't understand at all. Why use by vocabularis. Mschew

Anonymous said...

big*

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
.
Nna this guy can so scatter english shah.... Thank God he survived though....
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

Anonymous said...

i Thank God for ur life ooo guy!

Anonymous said...

While I sympathise with you in regards what you went through, I think you should improve your writing skills.

Honest Nigerian said...

Who's this guy blabbing shit. Trying to pass of as an intelligent writer, you said nothing. What led to your initial arrest and 'panel beating' by the Police in March, you did not say. You just expect us to believe you were in the right? As bad as the Police are often painted to be, not all of them are.

Secondly your main theme, 'How you escaped death..'. What led to the suspicion? What did you do or was perceived to do? Abi you just had an inspiration to write a story. Your story lacks all the elements of a good one. The angry traders just picked on you and left Ada?

I guess it was my belief in Linda's choice of stories to publish that caused me the six minutes I just lost. Either way, I am owed an apology.

Unknown said...

I Thank God for your life my dear brother.

Anonymous said...

Gosh

Olayemi said...

Hey ya,tank God fr ur life

Apple Berry said...

This is beautiful. He is such a good writer.

Unknown said...

Nna na wa o! Dis one na another Achebe o! Linda take note!

Unknown said...

Nna na wa o! Dis one na another Achebe o! Linda take note!

Unknown said...

Nna na wa o! Dis one na another Achebe o! Linda take note!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! It is well indeed!

ary said...

Hmmm

Unknown said...

What sort of write up is this. In trying to form professional writer hr just made d whole thing confusing. Like I can barely make sense of all he hz said. Why not just write in plain simple English....and pass ur message across properly. Why did d crowd start chasing you all of a sudden?? What did d old woman u tried to help say?? What happened to your Ada colleague?? Pointless write up. Can't even understand wat he's saying. Ok so morale of d story is wat exactly...that u empathise with d traders whose shops were ransacked or for other seemingly innocent Nigerians who have been victims of jungle justice like d ALUU 4(God rest their souls)...what exactly are u saying?? Vox pop ko vox populi ni

Anonymous said...

You are writer, learn to write in simple English. Nice piece tho but too many grammar.

Amaka said...

Stupid way of writing.

helen said...

you never see enything. you no no say everybody dey vex inside lagos?

Anonymous said...

it hurt my brain to read this...and I did not even finish.

Anonymous said...

Whoever tells you you're a writer isn't your friend. Your writing is pathetic to say the least. Change careers

Anonymous said...

next time write in plain English. i honestly lost interest mid way

APPLE said...

Thank God for your life.

Business Barbie said...

Guy. Abeg no body unders this your story. You are a writer and you don't know the meaning of communication. You are speaking to the general public and you cannot speak in simple terms. We can all speak grammar but know when to do it.

Anonymous said...

Please speak english what sort of stupid write up is this.

ogeee said...

Big grammer tank God for ur life

Unknown said...

Haba the english was too much now, u for reduce am.

Anonymous said...

Who be this wanabee???

I B M bolubantin said...

Thank GOD for you o...
That's a big testimony..

bummyla said...

Boy! You Lost Me In Your Story! It Could Have Being More Interesting Without The Grammatical Jargons! Any way! Sorry! http://www.bummyla.com

Unknown said...

Hmmmm

Anonymous said...

This guy is just a struggle, he wants to impress with Oxford English but all I read is gibberish can't even comprehend enough to sympathize

yawanow said...

Thank God for your life.

Unknown said...

Thank God u are alive to tell ur story, God be praised!



#TeamBlessed#

Unknown said...

Plssss is this guy writing a novel or a movie,any thank GOD u survived.

Anonymous said...

You will end up confusing your audience. Is this how you write for the mass populace? I think your audience is literature students. Who knows: maybe the grammar was too much that was why u got the beating of ur life. Thank God it was not worse. Next time peak broken English jare

Anonymous said...

My writer u didn't make much sense. We have heard u r a journalist but that was just unnecessarily descriptive. Get to ur point abeg. And b4 u think i'm one of those lazy readers. I am not. Reading has always been my hubby since from primary school. U over did Biko. Jst describe wat happened without all the unnecessary figure of speech u r trying to display. Too much of everything is bad.

Carina Kikelomo Jacob said...

Thank God for his life.

ckjacob.blogspot.com for fiction stories

Jay said...

I don't like write ups that are not straight to the point. This is one example.

Anonymous said...

i dnt understand jo, the grammer is too much, wetin?

Unknown said...

Rubbish! When it becomes difficult for one to comprehend your writing, you are not COMMUNICATING. What a waste of time.

Unknown said...

Information overload

ONYI P.K said...

What a good piece to hold back! This should be sent to the Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode to his information for action and for his information to act...semantics you may say, but they convey different levels of attention.

Unknown said...

God saved you oh

Sweet faced said...

ok so I rarely ever comment, errrmm buh I aint sure I actually got his gist cos the grammar was jest plenty.

Timi Da Uyi said...

Oversabi writer you try well well o. Too much grammar if you ask me. But thank God for your life

Unknown said...

nawa o. odikwa serious
thank God for your life


http://www.bbannesworld.com/2015/08/broken.html

Unknown said...

This boy should learn to avoid ambiguity when writing and make sure his target audience can UNDERSTAND his write up always. Thank God for his life, good thing he couldn't talk, if he had spoken to them the way he wrote this then they'd have killed him for sure.

Anonymous said...

I dont seem to understand the gist why did they just transfer their aggression on you.Did u take or do smthing to suggest being a thief?

Unknown said...

Excellent write up :)

Anonymous said...

Writer....u need to learn the rule of writing. Keep it simple. Your readers might get confuse with so many garnishing.

Anonymous said...

Olodo, didn't they just try to kill you?

I really don't pity poor people. They r the most wicked people you will ever meet. I tell you. You help them, they steal from you, or do smthing worse. I only pray for them from the corner of my bed biko!

chyoski said...

Nna eh..some people can like to unecessarily create confusion..Guy, with all these big words and combination of abstract phrases, are you sure you want us to know ur story or applaud your command of english..Na wa to u o...Thank God they didn't kill u sha

Tolu said...

You're a LIAR! If you're trying to be a Nollywood writer just say so instead of wasting our time with this nonsense. I read the whole story and you don't sound like a victim, more like someone seeking some attention.

Daintelectual said...

With all the grammar u are speaking I don't think you escaped death, maybe you had a terrible dream!

Anonymous said...

Terrible write up, terrible use of many unnecessary words, poor flow and poor sentence structures, you left the reader wondering at the end instead of being informed. Simple is better, even Wole Soyinka doesn't write something as complex as what you just wrote. You need to develop your writing skills and read more books, before you churn out more badly written articles. Less is more. It doesn't have to be so complex to be well written. Check out authors like Chimamanda and see the kind of way they write, simple and easy to understand and relate with.

Anonymous said...

From the way you write, why won't the mob lynch you? I guess they were fed with your passing off yourself as a writer and at the same time spewing off gibberish. Writer my foot!!

Anonymous said...

Boooring

Anonymous said...

you suck at writing very much!
Ur a bullshit writer. no longer us youths dont read your shit!

Unknown said...

Grammer well thank God for your life.

Unknown said...

It's a pity,how one chooses to narrate a near death story with such parade of grammar leaving no message in the mind of the reader.

Unknown said...

Wff? !!!!! I can't understand this any of this sh*t. Just get to the point Jesus!

Unknown said...

Poster just succeeded in confusing everyone. Please next time get to the point. You got my attention and lost it immediately just because you were trying to exhaust your arsenal of vocabularies.

Blacky 1 said...

it is obvious that being a journalist is not your way, repent and take other proffesion.

Unknown said...

To be fair, I've read and re-read this story and it's just jumbled up. Post pls edit it and send it back to Linda

Unknown said...

WORD!!!
The scum messed up big time tryna play with Words.
Very POOR Presentation.
Arrghhh.

Anonymous said...

Use of english. Couldn't read beyond the first paragragh. Plain, simple direct words is always a better way of presenting your case

Anonymous said...

Your writing is terrible and makes no sense - too flowery, too much of an attempt to use what you feel are fancy, collegiate words. Writing is a tool of communication, and should be simple and easily understood.

Tochi Paul said...

What an experience

Ndo oooo

#Dankwata

Anonymous said...

This writer sounds like a fag, why can't the moron just go straight to the point. Foolish olori buruku

Anonymous said...

If you're truly a writer one of the things they teach you is to write in Layman's terms when writing an article that will be published in a journal or publically. How do you expect anyone to read this?

Anonymous said...

Lmfao you are mean

Anonymous said...

You, so called Honest Nigerian, are really the one blabbing.
You are a nitwit if you cannot follow a simple figurative writing. You cannot see the grammatical structure, poetry and artistry within the sophistry of the narration. Quite sure you never scored above D in English, you and your cohorts attacking the writer instead of his message. Just to simplify it for your tiny brain: This guy said he narrowly escaped being lynched by a frustrated, angry Lagos mob who called him a thief. He was rescued miraculously even as he could not talk his way out, something he had successfully done in March from the hands of the police. Do you follow?

Anonymous said...

Must you repeat your posting multiple times?

Unknown said...

Thank God dey did nt kill u

Anonymous said...

The network keeps interfering with my comment.
I classify his writing style as Flowery Gyration.
I declare him an Author In The Clouds. Only people with stratospheric intellect will appreciate his class. If you could not comprehend his style do not blame yourself or him. Some animals are creepers while some are flyers. Only The Deep can call to The Deep, so said Awo.

Unknown said...

Thank God for u....

David said...

this is amazing!!! thank God u r alive to put this in writing

Anonymous said...

Why not just keep ur story straight and simple, U sha want us to know u can speak english. Sounded more like a fiction to me.

Anonymous said...

You are fool, did you skip the part where he didn't explain what happened in March? You here calling someone a nitwit .... Mr know it all retard

Anonymous said...

wtf is this? Pls get to the point now. This is a blog not poetry forum

SIDOFOBIA said...

Only God know who the hell licensed a useless fellow as a reporter.
Common information, you can't pass it for easy understanding, all you do is composing how they should have kill empty headed person like you by turnning a blog page to Poetry forum. Idiot : You didn’t write this article from the otherworld. but you still cannot entirely wrap up your useless head and brain around ‘how’ you survived last night but you know for how useless and idiotic you are, that even dictionary cannot define your paranormal attitude.

Unknown said...

Thank God for your life

Recent Posts